Monday, February 21, 2011

SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL CAFE


"Some Kind of Wonderful" is a hit film in 1987, a cult classic during the "Brat Pack" era with a soundtrack that sticks to your head (I am actually downloading the OST right now). Read more about the film here.

In Marikina, we have this too, 'ya know. SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL cafe opened last November 2010 - yep, quite new - and as you can glean from its name, it is an 80s-themed hideaway!!! My heart jumps for joy. :D

We went there earlier today for snack (err, late lunch), and as soon as you enter you will be greeted by the 80s:


On the left wall panel, they have mounted albums of all 80s hits! I love it! And to the right, you will see a collage of 80s films, which of course includes the film SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL (torrent, torrent, torrent, seed, seed, seed...who has a copy? please?!)


They have the Go-Go's, RUN DMC...and beside RUN DMC...


THE SMITHS!!! (Roni sings her favorite song: "...to die by your side...is such a heavenly way to die...")

So there I was inhaling all things 80s. You can also see stuff like Care Bears stuffed toys, action figures, Rubik's cubes...




Aside from its some kind of wonderful 80s theme, I was also drawn to this restaurant by word-of-mouth reviews that they have (one of) the best cheeseburgers in town. I vowed to munch on a cheeseburger today, oh yeah baby. So here is what we ordered:


SPICY BUFFALO WINGS WITH VEGGIE STICKS (135 PhP). Yummy. I loved the dressing. I wish I had a liter of their buffalo wings dressing at home. The wings were spicy, cooked just right. I'll order this again when we come back.



CHEESEBURGER (140 PhP). I have to tell you, those word-of-mouth-guys were not kidding!!! Now, this is actually MY FAVORITE cheeseburger. Sweetie and I unanimously say, this one hits the spot. The patty was cooked well, juicy and very tasty! I loved the texture of the wheat bun, the crunch of the onion, the flavor of the tomato and most of all, the mustard and the CHEESE. I can imagine them serving this with blue cheese too, oh that would be heavenly. YOU HAVE TO ORDER THIS, promise me. Hehe! :D



CHICKEN FILLET WITH CREAMY TOMATO OLIVE SAUCE (140 PhP). I had already closed our order but skimming through their menu, I asked for this dish to be added to our carte. My oh my were we bochogs today, haha! It's just that I love olives (he doesn't, so more olives for me), plus a creamy tomato olive sauce appealed to my imagination. Imagine crispy chicken fillet with creamy-buttery dressing with tomato chunks and olives, served with Jasmine rice and potato salad. Okay my mouth is watering now.


CHICKEN QUESADILLA (115 PhP). When they served this, my first question was, where's the sauce? Maybe I might have been used to having sauces like sour cream served with quesadillas I've tried before but for today, I just dismissed the thought of sauce and decided to try the quesadilla in all its simplicity. After taking a huge bite, you know what? You don't need a sauce for this. Like the cheeseburger, this will definitely be a reorder for me when I get back. They have stuffed the pita with generous amounts of chicken, cheese, tomatoes and onions. Yummy yummy yummy. Goes straight to my tummy.

Like I always say, I enjoy eating in a restaurant for its ambience, food and value for money. To add to that, the service. In SKOW (that's the resto's acronym), the servers were very friendly, and very attentive. Our dining experience was very pleasant.


Dining with great and AFFORDABLE food while listening to 80s music has never been this fun! I am definitely bringing my family and friends here, maybe we'll chance upon Seona Dancing or Duran Duran next time, too! :)

And oh, they gave us a free oatmeal cookie!!!


Visit SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL now, all you 80ists out there - or people who want great food at great prices. Foodies + Eighties = One of the best ideas ever!


More reasons to love Some Kind of Wonderful Cafe here.


SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL CAFE (SKOW)
Rainbow Street, SSS Village
(Right across St. Paul Parish, if you're commuting, take the SSS jeep or FX and ask Manong Driver to let you off near Saint Paul Parish)
Marikina City, Metro Manila
(02) 409-1242 / 09282714998
OPEN everyday EXCEPT Tuesdays FROM 12nn to 10pm
Munching Budget per person: starts at 100 PhP

My SKOW map made with love as requested (Just click on the image to enlarge):


Marikina, aking hirang.

Roni

54 comments:

  1. wow! that burger is calling out to me! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there! :) yup you should go and try their cheeseburger! affordable AND very tasty. :) i heard the owner was a former chef at Mandarin, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi roni,i heard they have pasta and pizza?is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for featuring this Roni! I've been wanting to go to a place that is 80's-themed! *.*

    ReplyDelete
  5. @smashinpumpkins: yes, that's correct! :) we weren't able to try them anymore, we were very full na! do tell me about your visit and the pizza / pasta okay :D thanks!!

    @samarah: you're very much welcome! enjoy your visit to SKOW! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey roni, try their pasta. tastes really good. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. me wanna go here right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @bianca: i actually tried their puttanesca last saturday and i will be blogging about it within the day or tomorrow. super yummy!!

    @Blue: go na Blue! bring your friends din! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey Roni! we tried their salmon sandwich, very yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ange434: what?!? unfair! hahaha!
    when i was there it was not available. i'll make sure to try that next time. :) thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi

    would you know where i can find a map going to the resto? we're planning to dine there tomorrow, thanks to your awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi there! i just updated this post with a map, hope it helps :D cheers! enjoy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm just a stonethrow away from SKOW...literaly

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi alfred! you're so lucky! :D i wish i were as close to skow, so i can grab a milkshake and burger anytime ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi rons, sarap yung steak nila,panalo! try it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey frenny, thanks for visiting! grabe ang dami ko pang hindi nata-try!!! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Roni! :)

    First, ASTIG KA! You're doing a greeeaaaat job spelunking all the hidden gastronomic treasures of Marikina! Keep it up! Will definitely try out SKOW. It's just walking distance from my wife's best friend's house. Sobrang lapit lang pala! :)

    Anyway, you misspelled RUBIK'S cube in your article.. It's named after Erno Rubik, its creator. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks so much Irone!! :) so happy you were able to drop by. :)

    parang nagte-text lang pala spelling ko, Rubix. :p corrected it na :D

    thanks a bunch again!! enjoy your future food trips! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Roni:)
    Nahanap ko na rin ang SKOW, sa wakas at nakakain na rin kame. Wa ko say, totoo nga! masarap nga talaga sila! Maliit lang nga yung place nila, nung pumunta kame punong puno, kaya ang sikip-sikip.Pero sulit naman sarap naman nila eh! Wish they could find a bigger place

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi Portia! thanks for leaving a comment. :) i'm glad you enjoyed your experience in SKOW! they serve high quality food, I can say based on my two visits there. I hope to try more on their menu soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi Roni, we tried to drop by last Saturday but they were closed!I got a message from the number you posted,they might reopen next week but for now they are undergoing maintenance repair,just giving you guys a heads-up

    ReplyDelete
  22. thanks for the heads up Frennie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. SKOW will re-open on wednesday (May 18,2011)I've talked to the owner (Dennis)yesterday, he said they were sorry for the delay. He said they've updated their menu, they have a lot to offer now on their new menu. And best of all SKOW is "Turning Japanese" SKOW will now serve japanese food. I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW!! may Japanese food na din?! soooo nice! and of course...turning japanese by the vapors - another 80s hit! babalik kami sa SKOW dahil diyan... :D thanks so much Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! Gusto kong puntahan to. Ohyeah, another place to hangout with my friends. thanks for featuring SKOW. :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. hi La-la-i-ne! glad to be of help. I'm sure you'll enjoy your SKOW experience! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just a heads-up guys, we were at SKOW last sunday. The owner (Dennis) said, that they will be closed on wednesday until friday (june 17). They will re-open on Saturday (June 18). The reason for the 3 day closure, chef owner Graciela is going to Seoul for a 3 day seminar. If you're planning to go to SKOW this week, sorry guys, Sat pa open nila!

    ReplyDelete
  28. wala po bang FB page ang SKOW? sobra sarap kasi ng food nila. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. hi forever fan! (love your username!)
    I tried looking for their fan page dati pa, pero parang wala. I'll ask them about it ;) enjoy SKOW and the rest of Marikina for food trips! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think may fan page sila, pero recently lang ata ginawa.

    ReplyDelete
  31. finally! thanks for sharing the good news Andrea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi I just want to share this link i saw a while ago.
    http://stachemagazineonline.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. hi blane! thanks for sharing the link! :) with all the great food that SKOW serves, they definitely deserve great reviews and features :D

    ReplyDelete
  34. SKOW is hands-down one of the best hole in the wall restos in Marikina! great food that they serve! thanks for featuring them Roni,nadiscover ko tuloy sila and we go there after mass or when we want shakes.tignan mo, top post pa rin siya until now, that's because of quality food and ambience.more power to your blog for helping Marikina-based restos get exposure!

    ReplyDelete
  35. wow, thanks so much for the feedback Klaus. one of the best talaga ang SKOW :) this is I believe because Chef Graciela has a very competent background as a chef, making their dishes all-so-wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Roni,

    I am also from Marikina and I visit most of the places you have featured here and has also featured them on my blog. I have failed to feature SKOW because I felt like the food we ordered wasn't wonderful at all. But after seeing the quesadillas, I am now willing to give SKOW another try. Nice blog from a fellow Marikenya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. hi there Pammy! thanks for dropping by :D Glad to meet another blogger from Marikina! do let me know what you think when you visit them again :D thanks Pammy! try their milkshakes and Japanese fare too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Sarap sa SKOW, I love their cheeseburger, it reminds me of the Old Dayrit's burger. And i love their salmon steak one of the best i've tasted in the metro, better than Conti's and of course way cheaper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. hi Yazz, I suddenly miss their salmon steak! must go back!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. sarap tumambay and kumain dito. ;) definitely one of the best in Marikina! thanks Roni, dahil sa iyo we discovered S.K.O.W. :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Just want to share a link, cheers! to SKOW! http://www.juice.ph/dining/features/coded-cuisine-revealed

    ReplyDelete
  42. woo hoo!!! more power to SKOW. it's such a great experience witnessing how the restaurant's following has grown. i'm sure they'll continue to whip up great dishes for their diners ;-) thanks Andrea for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Roni, great review, and really helpful too.

    Went there last Saturday with my 2y.o. daughter, sisters and bro-in-law, and got to try items you featured and some you didn't and went away very pleased.

    First of all, I was really happy that despite how varied the items in their menu is, I didn't hear "Sorry, but that's not available." It was also inexpensive.

    I loved their milkshakes, carbonara, and lemon cream salmon steak with capers.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi Joan! I'm so happy to hear you had a great time, and your kids, too! Their milkshakes are really good, and of course, I am glad you were able to try their salmon. Ah, must go back. *drools*

    ReplyDelete
  45. kakatuwa ang resto na ito ang liit lang pero it offers italian, american and japanese food at the same time. I tried their japanese and i think mas masarap pa ang katsudon nila at tonkatsu nila kesa sa tamagoya and crazy katsu, i heard galing ata ng yabu ang japanese cook nila.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's true, maraming choices talaga sa SKOW... haaayyy nakaka miss na talaga SKOW!!

      Delete
  46. Nice blog. Some Kind of Wonderful Cafe was recently featured in Etc Channel. I saw the episode and thought to myself this is cool. I'm sure the food there is delicious. I wish I could go there with a date. "Some Kind of Wonderful" is also my favorite movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Lens! thanks so much for your comment here. I hope you share with us how your dining experience goes when you finally get to try SKOW's offerings. thanks again!

      Delete
  47. question: is SKOW still open?

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi Roni, thank you for your instructions for commuting. Question: is this place nearer sta lucia or katipunan? I have to decide how to get home from there kasi. If there's a jeep to ata lucia, then that's better for me instead of going to katipunan pa. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmm, I think it's nearer if you come from Sta. Lucia. :-) You can go to Lilac street after dining, then take a ride to Sumulong Hiway, usually a trike. Then I think you would recognize your way when you're at Sumulong Hiway. You can take jeeps there traversing Marcos Hiway. :-)

      Delete

Thank you for your messages! Feel free to leave them here. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...